19 September 2011

It is not just a rumor and other short stories

        Well, I have spoken to many and told them my plans to be home in December of this year. Always being asked when my plane ticket was, bu until now I didn't have one. So it is no longer just a rumor and the hopes of m family and friends that I will be comin home because I am actually scheduled to come home! My flight leaves December 14th at 10:15 from Lima. I have to make a breif pit stop in both Miami and Dallas, but at 10:20pm the same day I will be gracing Austin Texas with my presence again. When I talked to people at home I get really excited. I am always asked what do I want to eat first when I get home let me tell you it is a long list. My friend Mandi told me while listening to my list, "It looks like you will be eating for two weeks straight!" I laughed. The one thing guaranteed not to be on that list is rice!
     Some things on it (so my mom is prepared...:) ) :
            - Muffins! blueberry, banana, apple cinnamon, bran, lemon poppy seed, pumpkin chocolate chip
            - BBQ and lots of it
            - Mom's enchilada casserole
            - Mom's BBQ meatballs
            - Waffles
            - Honeynut Cherrios, Fuit Loops, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Peanut butter Captain Crunch, Cinnamon Life....
            - Real milk
            - Banana bread, Vanilla bread, Chocolate bread, Autumn bread, Zucchini bread
            - Steak
            - Whataburger
            - Dr. Pepper
            - Bagels and Cream cheese
            - The list continues but it only make me hungry

Short stories

Sometimes things disappear


    The other night when they were over for the church meeting, they were outback playing with the balls, and unfortunately they lost one to the roof dog, who scares me (cause he almost got my arm the first time a ball went up there). However, by the time the meeting was over and I went to tell Auden the ball had disappeared so no more red ball. Then last week I was "showing" the children how to thrown the boomerang and it went straight into the tree the second time I threw it. And it was really high and near a birds nest so I didn't want to shake the branch or climb the tree in the middle of school. I had every intention of going after it after school, but it happened to be Friday, which is when I travel to Pacasmayo and I was a little rushed, so I completely forgot about it until today when we were playing but it was not in the tree.  
roof dog that scares me

Old McSam (except really I am young)

    Last Friday was a very eventful interesting day for me. Maura (the home owner, and occupier of the second floor) recently went to her land in the country and brought back two really cute piglets- they look like oreos. They have a little hut/cage in the back corner of the back yard. Well, last Friday while we had free play time out back, I was stamping the kids hands with some random circles and a pen to make a funny face, when all of a sudden "¡¡¡¡PROFESORA PROFESORA LOS CANCHO LOS CANCHOS ESTAN AFUERA!!!!" followed by really lowed squealing of little pigs. What is a teacher to do with 16 3-5 yr olds running wild, and 2 poor little piglets being really stressed out running everywhere as well? You have to catch them and put them back in their cage. The first one was easy, the second however was not easily fooled, and it took me 6 minutes to wrangle him and throw him back in their cage. The worst part is when you catch them they are even louder, and if the children moved the pigs freaked out more making the difficulty rise. But I did it, the kids were so proud.
2 little piggies
   Then as the I was waiting for the last kid to be picked up the same day, one of the moms comes by with a bag. She said she was holding a duck for the Pastor and wanted to give it to him now. So in said bag was indeed a live duck. And she handed it to me to hold onto for Auden. One I thought it was funny receiving a duck in a bag, then I wondered what on earth was I going to do with this duck. Well I carried the duck out back and set his bag under the tree, then walked back in my house to see a trail of disgusting duck poop juices from the door all the way through my classroom and to the back. Delightful. So as I was cleaning up Maura came home and I told her about the duck, she laughed and grabbed his wing and put it in one of the empty turkey cages. Eventful afternoon.
duck in a bag

French Toast, MmmmMmmm

    This past Saturday Kevin and I made the kids French toast at the orphanage. It was fun as it always is cooking for the kids, and of course the kids always come asking for more. The one kid that kept asking for more and more was baby. He got the prime seat in his high chair to my right in the kitchen. The kid had already eaten half of a bread roll cause he can't wait till 830 to eat he needs something at 630 when he woke up. Then he threw the other half for the dogs. But while we were cooking he kept saying "pan" (bread) so I broke up a piece of fresh french toast for him, went back to make more, the kid devoured it. Then I gave him a scrambled egg.  Ate the whole thing. Then he kept saying "Ma  Ma" (in his high pitched voice holding the a really long which means más-more, mama is always whiny) So he ate a second piece of french toast, then when Kevin was making the eggs for us to eat he kept asking for more so the little guy ate a 3rd piece, and about another half egg scrambled, and drank his milk. He took a really good morning nap. 

Pa PA Pos (Zapatos)

     Another baby story cause he is so cute. He loves shoes. And always tries to talk about them, but can't quite sound out the word yet. He also will always bring me my shoes if I am not wearing them. Also he enjoys chewing on sandals, which personally I think is gross, and I stop it when witnessed. A couple weeks ago I brought a new pair of shoes for baby, and left them with Kevin. They were a little big, but they were on sale and so I got him his next size up he would need. They are really cute, they have Lightning McQueen on them. Well the last 2 weeks they have been there in Kevin's suitcase baby has been playing with them (he has this thing about rifling through Kevin's things). So yesterday Kevin wanted to see if Baby would fit in them yet, cause he also liked them and wanted to see him wear them. Well the glass slipper fit, and baby was just so excited. We set him on the floor to try out his new kicks and he walked slowly in them at first then turned around smiled and was out the door. Kevin then wanted to see which Baby actually liked better or wanted, so we took his shoes off Kevin put them about 2 feet apart old and new, and I released the baby. He picked his new shoes, didn't even think about the other ones. 

Kevin scares the little children

     The first time Kevin was at my house (back in June) during school hours was when he and his mom had just gotten back from the states, and they stopped by my house to show her the preschool, etc. Well Segundo, is always my first student to arrive everyday, and that day was no different. He walked in looking like sunshine hole his flowers for me and his agenda in the other hand, gave me my kiss on the cheek, went to put up his backpack and started to cry, and ran back out to his mom. He saw Kevin and apparently Kevin is scary? But his mom eventually made him stay and Kevin stayed out back for a turn, and later they became friends while making letters with playdough.
   Last Wednesday Kevin was finishing up breakfast in the kitchen when the kids started arriving to school. Segundo came in saw him on his way to the bathroom, and just walked back out to his mom, not crying this time at least. he came back to school when from the street corner he saw Kevin leave the school to go make copies. I laughed as did his mom.


   Another funny moment with Kevin as he was in the kitchen, Niler one of my handful students also walked by Kevin on the way to the bathroom. But Kevin had finished eating and was washing dishes, Niler paused, looked at Kevin and asked "What are you doing?! Are you washing dishes?" Kevin replied, "Yes I am washing the dishes", "Are you a woman?", was Niler's follow up question cause I guess he has never witnessed a man washing dishes before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment