14 December 2011

Eventually you have to go Home

           Well I was planning on typing this up before I left, but time got away from me, and I enjoyed spending the extra moments with my kids. But a wonderful surprise came to me this morning when I checked in with the Airline. My first flight is executive class, so there is fast wifi internet in the VIP lounge I am currently sitting in on a very comfy leather seat, next to the free outlet I am also charging my laptop with so in Miami (where they aren't available) I can watch a movie on my computer. Very nice morning considering I got up super early cause Kevin had a 710 flight so we left at 5 this morning. Anyways, I am currently traveling. I leave Lima at 1020 this morning, get to Miami about 3, then head to Dallas at 630, and head to Austin at 930. And I should be with my family around 11 tonight, with no delays.
           Enough about traveling, because it is boring and long. My last week in Peru was long but not boring. I am very tired currently, which makes me doubly thankful for my surprise blessing. In my last week I had so many things to do. I of course had the last 3 days of school to plan and be ready for, had to gather the last of the kid's projects to hand out, fill out report cards, sign a zillion diplomas and awards, pack up all the school stuff and store it in my bedroom, pack up all the kitchen and store it in my bedroom, pack up my own things- making decisions what to bring and what to take, and finish my goodbye presents for the kids. 
         Friday was a crazy day. I woke up early and had to get my last jump on packing everything away. I was very thankful that Kevin agreed to come help me pack things away, he is pretty awesome. Friday there was also Olinda, a friend from Pacasmayo, that was cooking the chicken and stuff for our promocion dinner (which I wasn't aware of so I couldn't pack up the kitchen till Sunday night). But it is ok because it got done. Friday afternoon was out promocion for the kids, which is a black tie affair who knew. All the girls but one had brand new dresses, nice dresses like they were going to a preschool prom, and the boys all wore ties. Everyone also had new shoes, all a few sizes too big of course so they can wear them for a few more years. 
      The promocion was really nice and all the kids enjoyed it, they are a little wild and their parents don't control them very well, but it was a successful event. 
      Saturday was Jacky's Quinceanera. Her 15th birthday isn't until the 26th or 27th of the month but they wanted to do it before Kevin and I left (but now Kevin is staying till the 29th so I guess it was just me) The whole day was prepping, there was decorating, cooking, dress trying on, and I was baking! Cake for 38 plus the 18 kids who were in the houses (it was a big kid event only). It is a lot of cupcakes. But it was fun, I had some good helpers. 
     The party was really nice too. Everything looked good, all the girls got dressed up which they love, and we did their hair. I think I did about 6 or 8 girls hair, almost forgot about my own! They all looked beautiful. 
     At the end of the party Jacky was left with her basket of gifts, that needed to be opened so we opened them of course! She got 3 wallets, which was interesting. I guess when you turn 15 you are supposed to come into a lot of money and need a lot of wallets. But none of the wallets held any money inside. She also got some other fun gifts. Avis and Bruce bought her a beautiful silver necklace with a key on it. And Wendy gave her a random bag of beauty supplies which is what every teenage girls wants so she was excited. There were also the other random Peruvian gifts, because they just aren't very good giftgivers, I don't really get it. 
      Saturday night turned into Sunday morning pretty quick after that and I put the girls to bed, but Jacky and Mary were upset because I was leaving and so we stayed up in Jacky's bed a bit, dragged baby and his mattress in and all three shared her twin bunk- good night. 
     Sunday of course was really tough for me. There were lots of tears from everyone, even some of the boys. Joel was in his bed holding his owl for a good while. And I left Jacky crying on her bed when I left. Gladys, the goof, got to the orphanage after I had already left and so she called me when we were on the bus- that is what happens when it is your crazy Peruvian mother, just not so punctual. 
      Sunday night Kevin and I quickly did all the last minute things like defrosting the freezer for Maura, and cleaning the kitchen. And Monday morning we made our flight no problems and got to Miraflores for our 2 day break. Monday we mostly rested, for dinner he took me out fancy- it was delicious!, Tuesday we had to do some paperwork with our residency cards, then did some last minute shopping in the inka market, and I finally got to paraglide! It was good. And now I am awaiting my flight, as previously stated. 
       So I guess this is my sign off, thanks again everyone who supported me, whether it was monetarily, through prayers, through emails, Skype calls, by reading my blog, or by remembering to think of me every once in a while. I appreciate it all. My time in Peru was an experience I will never forget. The children here will always be in my heart, and I will continue to pray and send them things. . Thanks for everything, I love you all and see you soon in the states!!!

Giving out attendance awards at the Clausura.
The mayor of El Milagro, our town, was our Padrino (Godfather) for our Promocion.  He asked Auden  what he could bring and he said the cake, then he asked how many students there are and so he brought a 8" round double layer cake for each family and us. It was pretty nice.
Of course I got to take my picture with all of the kids. They all dress up pretty fancy for the occasion.  This is me and Beatriz one of my 4 year olds from the year.
Me and Angela, one of my other 4 year olds. She is super quiet and sweet and very intelligent. 
The mayor giving a little speech
All the kind in their dresses and suits, of course this was taken after they ate so Antonio (second from right) has a Purple mustache from the juice. 
Marely and the owl I made her. I made each of the my students and the kids form the orphanage an owl as my goodbye present. 

Paolo helping me and Mary, Jacky's sister,  make the cake for the Quinceanera. 
All the younger kids who didn't come to the party but still got to eat cake and sandwiches. 

This is the cake we made. A small cake for Jacky, and then cupcakes for everyone else, it was a lot of baking. 
Me and my little sisters, who will soon actually be Kevin's little sisters. We spent a lot of time ready but waiting because the guests don't show up in a timely fashion and Jacky couldn't enter until last. 

This is Kevin and Jacky. Jacky of course in her dress, and Kevin in the optional change skirt. 

Avis (the founder) and Bruce (our resident Canadian), the Padrinos, godparents, for the event (on the left) Jacky and Gina (the director) and the one of the guys who came and did the music and games. 

Boys team for one game, they kind of schooled the girls.

The girls, they lost but they look better than the boys.

Me Jacky and Kevin (with his mouth open telling Jim how to use the camera- it is the only one though...)

It is tradition that you are supposed to take a bite right out of your cake.  She took a very dainty bite out of that cake. 

Jacky and Jonas (another volunteer), he got her a stuffed pig, because his nickname from the kids is Chancho- which is pig. She loved it. I loved it because it has a jingle bell for a brain. So it just rattles. 

Finally getting to go paragliding

about to take off.

There I go.

Kevin's turn. This was the first attempt but something got tangled so they took it down and tried again. 

They made it off though

This was his quick turn, everyone behind and beside me thought they were landing. But Kevin's pilot asked him if he was ready to have fun and then whipped him around in a super fast turn that threw everyone off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment